Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Day Announcement

This was originally published on my blog under my real name, Todd Bush:


I am making an announcement on the hallowed occasion that is Memorial Day. First off, a lot of people don't realize that this holiday is not for the veterans that are so humbly walking amongst us today. They should be thanked every day, not just this weekend. No, this holiday is to pay tribute and honor those who have given the ultimate sacrifice, the men and women who have given their lives so that we could have the freedoms we have today.

One of my favorite movie lines is from A Few Good Men. You could argue that the movie is anti-military, but there's one line in it that gives me chills every time I hear it, read it, or say it. The female lawyer is asked by one of the two male lawyers, talking about the Marines they are defending, "Why do you like them so much?"

Her reply is one of the greatest reasons to love those who wear the uniform, and especially those who have died defending us: "Because they stand on a wall, and something's going to hurt you tonight... not on my watch."

My first book published under my pen name, Scott Chase, will be a collection of noir, hard-boiled short stories set in South Florida in the 1970's and 80's. The title will be The Backseat Virgin: A South Florida Noir Collection. They are dark, moody and a lot of fun, if you ask me. Here's the announcement: All of the proceeds that I make off of this collection of short stories will be donated to two charities. The first half will go to the Wounded Warrior Project, the second to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. Visit these terrific charities and if you feel compelled, make a donation. They take care of the men who stand on that wall, and the families they leave behind whenever they leave to fight for us.

Happy Memorial Day to everyone. Thank a veteran this weekend, and every weekend. But drive to a Veterans Cemetery, then lay a wreath, say a prayer, or offer a salute. It's not about the act; it's about the meaning behind it. We owe them so much. They are the heroes we all want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment